Fears are nothing more than a state of mind. Fear it is like annoying relatives and is a shadow which follows everywhere and avoiding it will not be possible, nor will ignoring fear work.
Make friends with it. Then, breathing out, let the fear go, out into space. Meditating with your eyes open may also help you feel the contrast between the anxiety and the space around. Rather than centralizing the fear within yourself, see it and let it go.
We allow fear or any worry to dominate our lives and it’s only just our internal feeling. Fear varies from person to person and it can be so strange. Getting through fear is not easy and we allow fear to take away our happiness. Its nothing to feel embarrassed about, everyone has some kind of fear. The point is who eliminates his fear.
First be sure that you truly want to face your fears, and then only you will be able to transcend them. Here are some tricks to face your fears:
1. Identify your fear:
The first thing you need to do is identify your fear. This means to know what exactly makes you afraid. Think about it and envision it and you will come to know what you are afraid of.
2. Make fear your friend:
After knowing your fear, make fear your friend. Get near it and feel it. Make it come into your life and take action as action builds courage. While doing this, yell loudly that its just a feeling. Get curious of what, where and how to react.
3. Don’t give attention:
You cannot completely ignore the fear, but make sure you don’t think too much about fear. More thinking will make you more afraid. So, while indulging in any work, concentrate on it rather than thinking about fear.
4. Visualise a happy place
Take a moment to close your eyes and imagine a place of safety and calm. It could be a picture of you walking on a beautiful beach, or snuggled up in bed with the cat next to you, or a happy memory from childhood. Let the positive feelings soothe you until you feel more relaxed.
5. Look at the evidence
It sometimes helps to challenge fearful thoughts. For example, if you’re scared of getting trapped in a lift and suffocating, ask yourself if you have ever heard of this happening to someone. Ask yourself what you would say to a friend who had a similar fear.
6. Don’t try to be perfect
Life is full of stresses, yet many of us feel that our lives must be perfect. Bad days and setbacks will always happen, and it’s important to remember that life is messy.
7. Go back to basics
Lots of people turn to alcohol or drugs to self-treat anxiety, but this will only make matters worse. Simple, everyday things like a good night’s sleep, a wholesome meal and a walk are often the best cures for anxiety.
8. Reward yourself
Finally, give yourself a treat. When you’ve made that call you’ve been dreading, for example, reinforce your success by treating yourself to a massage, a country walk, a meal out, a book, a DVD, or whatever little gift makes you happy.
Meditation to Overcome fear
Try this following simple visualization to let go of fear and anxiety.
- Sitting in a comfortable position for meditation, with a straight back, we close our eyes and breathe naturally through our nose. Then we spend a little time identifying what it is we are currently afraid of.
- We identify our deluded, unhealthy fears, such as the fear of dying, the fear of loss, the fear of failure, and so forth.
- Using our wisdom, we understand that all these fears, and all dangers, arise because of our deluded minds and negative actions.
- We then visualize these fears together with their actual causes (negative minds and actions) in the form of dense thick smoke, and we breathe it out. This smoke leaves our nostrils and disappears to the furthest reaches of space, where it completely disappears, never to return.
- As we inhale, we imagine we are breathing in all the pure, inspiring energy and fearlessness of all holy beings in the form of blissful white light, which fills our body and mind.
After meditating like this for a while, we feel that our body and mind are now completely pure and that we have received the blessings and protection of all holy beings. Our body feels light and supple, and our mind is clear, peaceful, and fearless.