Chakras are centers of energy, located on the midline of the body. There are seven of them, and they govern our psychological properties.
The chakras can tell you a lot about what is going on in your body and your mind. This system really helps to understand your bodies energies, your minds wants and needs and how you approach the world around you.
To learn more about chakras and how to understand them read on.
What are the chakras, where are they and why are they important? Let’s explore the chakra system, what exactly a chakra is and where they are located.
Chakras the energy centre that exists within the body.
These energy centres exist on the midline of the body and each one has a specific function and ability.
Chakras are also represented by specific colours and they can be open, closed, or even blocked.
When a chakra is closed or blocked, the other chakras may go into an overdrive to compensate for the closed or blocked chakra. Anytime this occurs the chakras can become out of balance.
The 7 chakras and the individual colors of their centers
There are seven chakras that run through the midline of the body. They are:
The Root Chakra – Base of spine connected to the colour red.
Red is a very physical color. It promotes a feeling of being grounded and connected to the earth.
This color brings to mind thoughts and feelings of survival and instinct. Red can make you feel alert, vigilant and primal.
The Sacral Chakra – Lower abdomen below the navel connected by the colour orange.
Orange is an energizing and creative color. It promotes a feeling of warmth and security.
This color brings to mind thoughts and feelings of passion, pleasure and sexuality. Orange can make you feel sensual, safe and abundant.
The Solar Plexus Chakra – Upper abdomen above the navel connected by the colour yellow.
Yellow is a strong emotional color. It promotes a feeling of being confident and friendly.
This color brings to mind thoughts and feelings of courage, optimism and self-esteem. Yellow can make you feel stimulated, prepared and capable.
The Heart Chakra – Center of the chest slightly above the heart connected by the colour green.
Green is a healthy color. It promotes a general feeling of well-being and good health.
This color brings to mind thoughts and feelings of compassion, kindness and love. Green can make you feel healthy, alert and empathetic.
The Throat Chakra – Center of throat connected by a lighter blue colour.
Blue is an intellectual color. It promotes a feeling of being intelligent and trustworthy.
This color brings to mind thoughts and feelings of logic, communication and duty. Blue can make you smart, efficient and well-spoken.
The Third Eye Chakra – The space between the eyebrows connected by Indigo.
Indigo is a very spiritual color. It promotes a feeling of being wise and spiritually developed.
This color brings to mind thoughts and feelings of psychic energy, self-awareness and peace. Indigo can make you wise, intuitive and magical.
The Crown Chakra – Top of the head connected by Violet-White colour.
Violet and white are universal colors. They promote feelings of being connected with all.
These colors bring to mind thoughts and feelings of spirituality, oneness and meditation. Violet and white can make you feel evolved, exalted and spiritually awake.
What Do The Chakras Do?
The Root Chakra
- This energy centre rests at the base of the spine and represents our feelings of being grounded.
- When the root chakra is in balance you will likely feel as though you have a strong foundation.
- This will help you to feel stable and secure.
- When the root chakra is out of balance or blocked you may feel a heightened sense of insecurity, anxiety, and nervousness.
- When the root chakra is overactive you may exhibit traits of being greedy or materialistic in nature.
The Sacral Chakra
- This energy centre rests in the lower abdomen about two inches below your navel and is connected to our emotions and sexuality.
- When the sacral chakra is in balance your emotions can be easily expressed and you feel a deep connection to your sexuality, sensuality and ability to express them.
- When the chakra is out of balance you may become unemotional, stiff, and be lacking in libido.
- When this chakra is overactive you may feel overly emotional and may exhibit extreme behaviours.
The Solar Plexus Chakra
- This chakra rests about two inches above the navel and is connected to self-esteem, assertiveness and our feelings of being in control.
- When in balance you will feel secure and in control of all the facets of your life.
- When out of balance, you will feel indecisive and as though you aren’t able to get what you really want.
- When this chakra is overactive you feel overly aggressive and possessive.
The Heart Chakra
- Resting right above the heart this chakra is connected to love and kindness.
- When the heart chakra is open you feel compassionate, friendly and easily able to find harmony in your relationships.
- When the heart chakra is out of balance you may feel cold and distant to those around you.
- When the heart chakra is overactive you may love selfishly and can be seen as suffocating or overly expressive of your feelings.
The Throat Chakra
- Sitting at the very centre of your throat this chakra is all about communication and expression.
- When to throat chakra is in balance you can easily express yourself in any medium that you prefer.
- When this chakra is out of balance you may not speak very much, may feel shy or generally unable to express yourself.
- When this chakra is overactive you may become a bad listener because you are simply speaking too much.
The Third Eye Chakra
- Located at the space between the eyebrows this chakra is all about insight and intuition.
- When in balance you will have a very strong sense of intuition.
- When the third eye chakra is out of balance, you may become confused and unable to trust yourself.
- When this chakra is overactive you may begin to fantasize too much and separate yourself from reality.
The Crown Chakra
- Resting on the very top of your head this chakra is all about wisdom.
- When in balance you are extremely aware of the world around you.
- When this chakra is out of balance you may become extremely rigid in your thinking.
- When this chakra is overactive you may overthink things too much and ignore your bodily need.